Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Stressing Out - Help!!!!

Oh boy I am stressing out right now. My employer is absolutely insisting that I attend 4 days of intense training starting August 31st. Normally, I would not mind this but Kate is due to whelp on September 1st. Now, if she's a sweetheart and delivers at night - no problem - I will be there. My husband will be home during the day on Monday through Wednesday, but he has never whelped a litter on his own. He has to work on Thursday which leaves Kate alone. I have asked several of my breeder friends for help but keep running into obstacles. The breeders I trust the most all have bitches due the same week and obviously can't commit to anything. The OCD in me has got me freaking out. Should I schedule her for a C-section on the 28th (day 59)?? - I really hate to do that but I am running out of options. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

6 comments:

Joanna said...

Is that day 59 from ovulation or day 59 from breeding? If it's from ovulation, absolutely no way no how. If it's from breeding, it's early enough that I personally would be very concerned but I am sure some will tell you to do it.

If you're going to section her, rather than do a whelping, start doing daily progesterones starting day 59 or 60 after breeding. The day she's below 2.5 is safe to do the section. If you are already in training, just have your husband take her. He can handle newborns after they've been born and cleaned up, right?

Lybertygirl said...

It's day 59 from the breeding. Progestrone testing is difficult to get in our area - The Vets send them off and sometimes the results don't come back for 3-4 days. We do swabs and wait for Lego to start howling. He's pretty good at letting us know when the girls are ready. I DO NOT want to do a c-section. Kate free whelped her first two litters with no problems and I don't want to put her through any unnecessary surgery. But I also don't want her to whelp on her own, or to lose my job. Wat a mess....

C-Myste said...

No, I wouldn't section that early. Just in case. There is such a fine line between being ready and not.

Do you know anybody around from another breed who could help? Do you belong to your local all-breed club? Or put a call out on showdogs-l?

Joanna said...

Does she usually whelp 63 from first breeding? In my experience 61 is more common, which puts her due on the 30th and she's likely to whelp with you.

If you didn't pinpoint ovulation with progesterone or LH, you can't schedule a section more than 24 hours in advance. You can get her in as soon as her temp drops, but if it happens at night or on a Saturday or something you are stuck.

My repro vet will schedule a c-section on day 63 post ovulation or 65 post LH surge, but if you don't have those days exactly on and 100% sure she either has you run serial progesterones at the end or schedule it when the temp drops.

Anyway, that is neither here nor there; the issue for you is getting help with the whelping. Can you schedule a section for the morning of the first? That way you can wait her out through the weekend (since you'd be with her) but if she's still holding on as of Monday morning your husband can take her in and they'll make sure he is taking live puppies back with him.

StubbyDog said...

Not sure what the best course of action is, but if I can help let me know!

Lybertygirl said...

Guess what I need is a reliable dog sitter with whelping experience. The folks I usually rely on from me keenel club all have bitches due the same week. Surely they won't all whelp on the same day!